20100222

halloween came early

New York Fashion Week has concluded.

I did not go.

But, I did spend a few hours on style.com and catching up by reading a few friends' blogs!

Generally I don't remember too many details after looking at every single show, though it all eventually comes back to me and resonates with me later, I can't help but think that bondage and goth will forever spot the runways.

I'd like to point out one particular collection--Altuzarra's.

A few have praised Altuzarra's collection, featuring "Frankenstein" stitches and numerous buckles, similar to a straitjacket. I couldn't help but think of Altuzarra's collection echoing the influences of The Matrix, Edward Scissorhands and Death Note.

You may argue that the same might be said of Gareth Pugh's look, then, because he consistently shows a goth influence throughout his collections, but I think Pugh takes his designs a couple notches beyond his obvious influences, and his clothes are more theatrical and costume-like than Altuzarra's.


Altuzarra F/w 2010
images via style.com


L-R: Carrie-Anne Moss in the Matrix,
Johnny Depp in Edward Scissorhands, Ryuk from Death Note
(Matrix image via fanpop.com, Edward image via ithaca.edu, Death Note image via deathgod.org)



L-R: "Frankenstein" stitching a la Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman,
on Altuzarra's F/W 2010 runway, "staples" on the Viktor & Rolf F/W 2008 runway
(Catwoman image via premiere.com, runway details via elle.com)


Expensive Halloween costumes, anyone?

No comments: